Re: comment on the fragment document: (inverse) functional and DL-Lite

On 6 Mar 2008, at 11:04, Ivan Herman wrote:

> Boris, Bernardo,
>
> I went through
>
> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Fragments_Proposal
>
> again today. One thing that I may have missed: I tried to see if I
> can use (inverse)functional properties for DL-Lite or not. I did
> not find any reference to those neither in 3.1 nor in 3.2. Again, I
> may have missed something...

Let's see if I can discern from the text the situation. (As a test of
the spec.)

In section 3:
	http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Fragments_Proposal#DL-Lite

	"""Several variants of DL-Lite have been described in the
literature. The variant presented here is called DL-LiteR since it
allows for property inclusion axioms; it therefore contains the
intersection between RDFS and OWL 1.1 DL. Other variants trade
property inclusion axioms for functionality and inverse-functionality
of object properties."""

I think this is clear that functionality and inverse functionality of
*object* properties are forbidden.

Actually ,the rest of the sections are quiet about data properties
altogether. Which would mean that data properties are forbidden in
this variant. Which means that it's not really the intersection of
RDFS and OWL 1.1 DL?

I do think that if we make this DL Lite not have data properties, the
text should call that out (e.g., in the list of missing features).
OTOH, I think we should allow data properties ;) I would think it
would be ok to trade datasubproperties for keys (from a user pov)...I
don't know if that would be ok from the logic/impelmentation pov off
the top of my had (while retaining object subproperties).