Re: Issue-114

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:25:56 +0100
Cc: Rinke Hoekstra <hoekstra@uva.nl>, OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>

On Jun 30, 2008, at 9:26 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:
>> Hi Alan, Michael,
>> On 30 jun 2008, at 19:59, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>>> After discussion with Michael, we agreed to narrow this issue as
>>> follows: We propose that the only punning in OWL is against
>>> individuals - that is, anything named in OWL can have an
>>> individual with the same (punned name).
>> Could you please clarify what the underlying reason is for this
>> restriction? Object/datatype property punning and class/datatype
>> punning were problems because of a compatibility issue with OWL
>> Full. Is there a similar problem with class/property and
>> individual/property punning?
> There is no problem with individual/property punning - this is
> included as valid in my proposal. There has never been, as far as I
> am aware, a call for class/property punning.

Sure there has.

	1) To handle more RDF graphs. (class/property punning is in OWL
Full, with exactly the same semantics.)
	2) To handle various integration/alignment situations.

Furthermore, these are already in and in OWL2 implementations.

>> If the restriction is based on an apparent lack of use cases I'm
>> sure with a little effort we could come up with several. For
>> instance,
>> 1) The use of elephant and mouse properties to represent 'all
>> elephants are bigger than all mice' (Markus' paper). The trick is
>> to bridge the gap between TBox and RBox by making e.g. the class
>> 'elephant' equivalent to a self restriction on the 'elephant'
>> property. Role inclusion axioms can then be used (together with
>> the universal role) to connect all elephants to all mice. I feel
>> that this is a case where class/property punning is appropriate.
> In the case of individual/xx punning, we have the prospect (in DL)
> of (eventually)  saying x (individual) sameAs y  (individual) => x
> (type specific equivalence) y, In OWL full this is already part of
> the semantics.
> How should this work with punning between properties and classes?

The same (effectively) as in OWL Full, i.e., punning.

>>  Having just class/individual punning is hard to defend (in
>> particular because, at least in my view, most cases for class/
>> individual punning is just bad practice)
> It may be bad practice, but is is requested. To the extent that we
> are chartered to provide features that have been identified by
> users as widely needed,

Actually, I don't see that we're chartered to do that:

"""The mission of the OWL Working Group, part of the Semantic Web
Activity, is to produce a W3C Recommendation that refines and extends
OWL. The proposed extensions are a small set that:"""

I do think it's a good idea though.

> I think it ought to be a consideration in choosing what is in and
> outside OWL. If we don't get rich annotations, the class and
> property to instance punning will provide features that can not
> otherwise be met.

The starting point is OWL 1.1. I think we should deviate from
included features that have been interoperably implemented only when
there are clear and strong arguments against them.