ISSUE-131 (Single OWL-R profile): We should unify OWL-R DL and OWL-R Full profiles

From: OWL Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:34:38 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-owl-wg@w3.org

ISSUE-131 (Single OWL-R profile): We should unify OWL-R DL and OWL-R Full profiles

Raised by: Boris Motik
On product:

It might be beneficial to try and unify OWL-R DL and OWL-R Full into a single profile. The main benefit would be that we would not need owl:intendedProfile: the profile an ontology is in would be defined by the syntactic structure of the axioms in the ontology. Please note that this would not affect the rules of OWL-R -- these would stay exactly as they currently are.

Here are the proposed changes to the Profiles document:

- We would rework entire Section 4 to talk only about OWL-R, and not about OWL-R DL and OWL-R Full.

- We would rename Section 4.2 to "Profile Specification". There, we would use the structural specification to define the allowed structure of the language.

- We would add a general remark to the document, probably in the introduction, that each RDF graph falls into a particular profile if it can be parsed into a structural specification ontology according to the rules specified in the RDF Mapping document. Please note that this is not something that is specific to OWL-R: we need a definition of when an RDF graph constitutes a valid ontology in a particular fragment for the other fragments as well.

- We would delete Section 4.3.1.

- Section 4.3.2 would become Section 4.3 and we would call it "Reasoning in OWL-R and RDF Graphs using Rules". The contents of the section would remain the same.

Please let me know how you feel about this.