Re: Representation of Negative Assertions in OWL 1.0

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 14:45:20 -0400
Cc: "OWL Working Group WG" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: "Kashyap, Vipul" <VKASHYAP1@PARTNERS.ORG>

On Jun 8, 2008, at 7:14 AM, Kashyap, Vipul wrote:

>> Individual(Sarkozy type(Restriction(isPresidentOf allValuesFrom
>> (complementOf(oneOf(USA))))))
>
> The above statement says:
> "If Sarkozy is the president of a country than that country is a
> country other
> than the USA".
>
> This to me appears different from "Sarkozy is not the president of
> USA".
>
> How about the following formulation (Please excuse incorrect syntax):
>
> Individual(Sarkoy type(Restriction(= 0 isPresidentOf oneOf{USA)}))

isPresidentOf only (not {USA})
and
isPresidentOf exactly 0 {USA}

are equivalent classes. Try it in protege 4.

> I would assume that the above two formulations are logically
> equivalent but the
> latter seems closer to the negated assertion.

I can believe that some might view things as such. Personally, I look
to the logical equivalence and say they say the exact same thing.

> In a more general context, given that there might be multiple ways
> of saying the
> same thing, would it be of interest to propose best practices/style
> guides for
> these situations?

I don't know. Certainly there is value in explaining that and how
they mean the same thing.