Re: For namespace reuse

Bijan,

although I fully understand and agree with the frustration on the
namespaces that no one remembers (me neither), I am afraid we might have
to separate the OWL/XML namespace from the OWL one (I think we did agree
that we would reuse the same OWL namespace for OWL2, so the issue is
really only between these two).

Caveat: I am not a real XML expert, and we might want to ask advise from
one if we continue to disagree:-). While I give some of my thoughts
below why I think those two should be separated, I must admit that I
also have a general feeling that "something else might go wrong that I
do not know about, let us avoid possible problems for the future". I
know this is not a rational argument but, well...:-)

First of all: you say "http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#", which is the
right namespace for OWL, but probably not in the 'real' XML sense which
should be "http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl" (note the missing '#'). So
there you go: there is already a difference:-(

One of my problems is that, conceptually, the usage of namespaces in the
RDF world is very different from the XML world (yes, I know, RDF/XML
uses the namespaces, and I am not sure it is 100% kosher in the XML
sense...). In the case of RDF, namespaces are really used for an
abbreviation of URI-s, much as CURIE-s do (and will be used in the
functional syntax). Hence the usage of the '#' or '/' characters in the
URI-s we use. In the XML world, namespaces have an effect on the
abstract 'meaning' of the XML (I use the word _very_ loosely here!):
they are indeed integral part of the XML Infoset, affect the way the DOM
works, etc. Hence also their usage of URI-s without the fragment part,
ie, the '#' character (as far as I know, formally, the meaning of '#'
and what comes after it, is dependent on the mime-type, it does not have
a generic meaning, that is why the XML community keeps away using it there.)

Another point: in the RDF world, a possible action is to dereference the
URI in the namespace and hope to see, eg, the RDF/XML representation for
the terms. I know this is does not always work (eg, for the XSD
namespace) but it certainly works for

http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#

or

http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl

already! (And I would not expect us to change the existing file there by
removing anything and hence creating backward compatibility problems,
just adding the new OWL 2 terms, eventually.) I do believe this becomes
more an more common with people using RDF, eg, using the various RDF
browsers (tabulator, zeitgeist, disco, etc) and I believe it is a strong
requirement for communities like the Linking Open Data one, for example,
have in their practice (we can check this for more specific references
if we want). As a purely anecdotal fact, I know that when I mix
different vocabularies and I am not sure about the exact term, my first
instinct is to try to dereference the URI and see what is there. I do
that fairly often. Sure, when I have a bookmark against the textual
specification of the terms I use that (say, for DC or indeed OWL), but
that is not always the case.

However, if you look at the same URI from an XML sense, you would expect
something different. The dereferenced URI would give information on the
terms used in the XML space ie, in our case, Declaration,
ObjectAllValuesFrom, etc. These are not RDF terms (I would not use
owl:ObjectAllValuesFrom in RDF), they are specific to the OWL/XML only.
Ie, I would not want to see these terms listed there as an RDF user,
because it would just mess me up... Whether what you have at the end of
that URI is in RDDL format or anything else (and I agree RDDL is a good
idea) is a secondary issue.

B.t.w., we did discuss some possible URI-s for RDF/XML at the telco, but
we did not consider:

http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl/xml

which might certainly ease the pain, being a logical step from the core
OWL namespace...

Cheers

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/