Re: Question about problems with top/bottom property

On Jun 2, 2008, at 8:16 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:
> Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>> Is there any reason not to include bottom role? There is a
>> debugging benefit to computing equivalentProperty to bottom role.
>
> I must admit I do not understand what you mean here.

Suppose I have a two classes, A and B, which are disjoint.
If I create a class C = A intersection B, then this class is
unsatisfiable - there are no possible members. If you asked for the
classes that are equivalent to  owl:Nothing you would get C.
Reasoners report such unsatisfiable classes as they are most often
modeling errors.
However, what happens if I make a property P whose range is A
intersection B? Now this property can't have any values. It is also
most likely a modeling error. It is an "unsatisfiable property". If
there were bottom role we could ask if was equivalentProperty to
owl:NothingProperty (one name for bottom role).

> In general, I would like to understand the clear benefit the top
> and bottom role would bring to OWL users. At the moment, it is
> unclear to me.

The most often stated benefit is symmetry between classes and
properties. Just as there is owl:Thing at the top of the class
lattice, and owl:Nothing at the bottom, there would be
owl:ThingProperty/owl:NothingProperty (names chosen to emphasize
parallel) for the property lattice.

-Alan

> Ivan
>
>> Also, where we discuss computational properties and reasoning
>> services - should role subsumption (and with bottom role, role
>> satisfiability) be mentioned?
>> -Alan
>> On May 29, 2008, at 7:52 AM, Boris Motik wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Here is the executive summary of this rather long e-mail:
>>>
>>> 1. The universal property can already be expressed in OWL 2 in a
>>> straightforward way.
>>> 2. This straightforward encoding (suggested in most papers),
>>> however, is quite inefficient in practice.
>>> 3. It might be possible to come up with a more efficient
>>> implementation technique. This technique, however, would not be
>>> completely
>>> trivial.