Re: OWL 2 Profiles and Horn-SHIQ

Dear Christian,

When discussing fragments (now called profiles) the OWL Working Group
decided that having too many different profiles might be confusing to
potential users of OWL, and that  we should therefore try to limit
the number of profiles and only describe those for which (a) there is
a clear user requirement; (b) there is sufficient implementer
support; (c) there are significant distinguishing characteristics
(e.g., computational or implementational) w.r.t. other profiles. The
WG is not aware of strong user requirements or implementer support
for Horn-SHIQ, and it's characteristics seem to be quite similar to
those of the OWL-R profile.

If you would like the WG to reconsider, could you provide additional
information about Horn-SHIQ that addresses the above points.

Regards,
Ian Horrocks
Co-Chair, W3C OWL Working Group