Re: A possible way of going forward with OWL-R unification (ISSUE-131)

Michael,

instead of answering each of the points separately, I try to summarize
again my problems; sorry for the long mail. I actually believe that the
issue is really to understand one another's position because, again in
my belief, the solution is not that complicated...

Let us say we implement Boris' proposal and that we have a graph G that
includes the following:

my:List rdfs:subClassOf rdf:List.
my:inst my:prop [
   a my:List;
   rdf:first "Something";
   rdf:rest [
     a my:List;
     rdf:first "Something else";
     rdf:rest rdf:nil;
   ].

Let us also say we have an implementation (A) of OWL-R that implements
the profile using some sort of a tableaux algorithm. That implementation
has no other choice that to reject graph G because it cannot convert
this graph into valid functional syntax or, if it does that, it will be
invalid due to the first triple. So it will reject G, and this behaviour
will be perfectly fine and conform to the OWL-R Standard Profile.

Let us also say that we have an implementation (B) of OWL-R that
implements the profile using forward chaining, using the rules that are
also precisely described in the profile document on OWL-R. (Note that,
in contrast to what was said at the meeting, there is no issue of _any_
extension here; (B) implements those rules and _only_ those rules
following exactly what is in the Standard) Seeing G, (B) has two choices:

  1. reject G as invalid for OWL-R, according to the official profile
definition
  2. apply the rules that are perfectly o.k., valid, sound, etc, for
that case and infer:

my:inst my:prop ("Something" "Something else").

If the (B) chooses #1, it abides to the requirement of the standard,
ensures interoperability with (A), but rejects an RDF Graph that is
perfectly clear, clean for RDF applications for no good reasons except
for standard compliance. Alternatively, it will do #2, which is (in my
view) the sound choice both for the users and the implementers. (B.t.w.,
#2 forces the implementation to implement the not-so-trivial conversion
of RDF to the functional syntax for no other reasons than to check
against a not-so-trivial specification of conformance. I would expect
implementations based on rules to decide not to do that.)

If (B) implementer chooses #2, can it announce that it is an OWL-R
implementation? In my view that is not the case, because it cannot
ensure interoperability with (A). What it implements is OWL-R plus
something, so to say. It of course correctly handles all bona fide OWL-R
graphs, but slightly more than that.

My claim is that we have to have a clear reference to what this OWL-R
plus something is, with a clear identification in the standard document.
If we do not want to call it a 'profile' but something else, that is
fine with me. We can refer to it as a semantic subset of OWL-Full. We
can call it 'OWL-R++', 'OWL-R Full', 'OWL-R/RDF', whatever (the latter
was the name proposed by Boris).  But there has to be a clear,
undisputable reference to the 'thing' that this implementation does and
my claim is that the name 'OWL-R' does not properly cut it. Note that,
editorially, it can be as simple as giving a clear identification in the
document for the rule set (it will be part of the document anyway) and
call it a decent name that one can clearly refer to without looking at
anything else.

The characterization in the document of what this Rule set does should
also be more positive than 'incomplete OWL-Full implementation' (even if
that is technically correct). If I had a company selling, say, an OWL-DL
like reasoner, I do not think I would want to put on my selling brochure
'my product is an incomplete OWL-DL implementation' even that was
technically correct (I would come up with a name, some sort of
characterization of what it does, etc). The same holds here. Maybe the
only thing we can do is to add some text to the ruleset saying something
like 'This rule set will actually accept more RDF graphs than OWL-R' and
give some examples like mine (It would be good to be able to
characterize those Graphs a bit better but that may not be possible,
technically. I do not know. You tell me). I can even live with not
saying anything in the text of the Profile document and add something in
the Primer instead: there are several possibilities. But we have to have
something for the community to help its messaging and interoperability.

Michael, is this a little bit clearer?

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/