Re: A possible way of going forward with OWL-R unification (ISSUE-131)

Hi Boris,

Boris Motik wrote:
> Hello Ivan,
>
> I see many advantages to the proposed unification of OWL-R:
>
> - Having only one OWL-R profile should be less confusing for implementers and users.

Just as I said in my previous mail: I do not think this is not true for
OWL-R Full users and implementers. My belief is that for that crowd the
situation would be _more_ confusing than it is today.

> - An OWL-R implementation can also claim to handle OWL Full (although without the completeness guarantees).

But this is exactly the muddy message I was referring to, isn't it? It
does not really implement OWL Full. If there is no clear reference to a
name/profile, then it just not clear what it implements, except for a
vague statement on incompleteness. That is certainly not what a company
would put in a marketing brochure! By clearly identifying a subset of
OWL-Full through the rule set, giving it a standard name as a profile,
the situation becomes clear for all parties involved.

Actually, I am not even sure that your statement is correct. There is
nothing that would prevent an OWL-R-DL implementation to use other
implementation techniques, relying on the DL restrictions. In  which
case your statement would probably not be true any more. I do not
believe the profile document says (or should say) that the rule set is
the _only_ implementation method for OWL-R-DL... Ie, such an
non-rule-based implementation would have the right to _refuse_ an RDF
Graph that other OWL-R implementations (based on the rules) could process.

> - The syntactic definition can be used to inform users whether or not these guarantees hold for a given ontology.

Yes, true for the DL version but only for the DL version.

> - Implementations can support a larger fragment of OWL Full without becoming incorrect for OWL-R.

I am not sure I understand this statement

> - An OWL Full implementation *is* an OWL-R implementation.

Of course. Just as a OWL DL is also an OWL-R-DL implementation. But this
statement is irrelevant in the context of profiles...

> - No need for owl:intendedProfile.
>
> Under the current profile definition, if implementers add functionality beyond OWL-R, as they might want to do, then their
> implementation would be strictly speaking incorrect for OWL-R Full.

I am not sure I understand the relevance of this...

The other day I asked you on the call whether, by accepting your
proposal, we would loose anything. You said the answer is 'no' but,
unfortunately, my examples show that this is not exactly true. We
probably have a different appreciation on the importance of those things
that we do loose... in other words, we can just agree at this point that
we disagree:-(

Ivan