Re: discussion of ISSUE-16 - was draft of minutes from telecon of 2 July now available

On 3 Jul 2008, at 23:55, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> Hmm.
>
> I expect that the minutes are a factual representation of the
> discussion, but some of the discussion does not appear to me to be
> correct.
>
> Section 2.1.1: ISSUE-16 Entity Annotations
>
> The issue raiser was Jeremy Carroll.

Good point, but I guess that it didn't affect the subsequent discussion.

> The issue itself is about the ability to annotate an entity annotation
> (because it is an axiom) but not other annotations (because they
> are not
> axioms).

I think that Boris did correctly summarise the issue, but that it got
a bit scrambled in scribing -- to be fair to Evan, it wasn't easy to
catch.
I have amended the minutes to be more consistent with my recollection
of what was actually said:

Boris Motik: problem - you can annotate entity annotations, because
they are axioms, but not other kinds of annotation, because they are
not axioms ←
... peter proposed various solutions, including one where annotations
could contain a set of other annotations

> I did put forward a group of proposals to close the issue in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2008Jan/0106.html a
> subset of which allow annotations on annotations, which requires
> only a
> very small change to the functional syntax.

The agenda pointed to this email.

> The situation in the RDF
> syntax would be a bit more complex, but I believe that simply using
> the
> same treatment as for single-triple axioms would work (the annotated
> annotation would be reified and the annotations on "hung" off the
> reification node).
>
> There was support for one of my proposals (2a), which is the one
> that I
> also prefer.

Your (2a) solution was one of the ones under consideration. The
alternative proposed by Boris -- making all kinds of annotation be
axioms -- was what he was referring to when he said "having an axiom
that contains another axiom is hard in RDF". We were also concerned
that reifications of reifications would be quite nasty -- there is
already some concern about the overhead for parsers of having to
handle single reifications, and a debate as to whether the "base
triple" should also be included in the RDF serialisation. These
problems/debates might be made worse by the possibility of having to
deal with arbitrarily nested reification.

Ian