Re: Action-164 suggestions (again) for unnamed individuals *in addition* to bnodes

On Jul 2, 2008, at 7:12 AM, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On 2 Jul 2008, at 12:00, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>
>> Fulfilling action-164, Here is a pointer to the email when I first
>> suggested we consider supporting both bnodes and unnamed (for the
>> user) individuals.
>>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2007Nov/0214.html
>>
>> Snippet, omitting unrelated, but not current suggestions.
>>
>> It seems to me that we could actually support both.
>>
>>> Individual(type(owl:Thing)) could be a skolem
>>> SomeIndividual(type(owl:Thing)) could be an existential.
>
> This imposes a tree like restriction on the first.

Good point!  The syntax would need to "name" the unnamed individual.

So better would be:

UnnamedIndividual([handle] type(owl:Thing))

where handle is name for the individual that has scoped within the
ontology only.

>> That is, we could offer two forms of anonymous individual
>> constructors. Neither would specify a name. One form of
>> constructor would allocate a unique (to exceedingly high
>> probability) name. The other would use a bnode, interpreted using
>> the usual existential semantics.
>>
>> Tree-shape restrictions would hold for the existentials, but not
>> for the other kinds of anonymous individuals.
>
> This would make entailment undecidable.

Why? The individuals created by the "UnnamedIndividual()" constructor
are not really anonymous - they are named, just not by the user. So
we have tree-shaped restrictions for the existentials, as in OWL 1,
and arbitrary graphs of named individuals, as before.

> It also doesn't address the legacy issue that people use bnodes as
> if they were skolem. We could consider evangelizing not using
> bnodes in RDF when skolem semantics were meant, but I don't see
> that working well anytime soon without a *big* push.

True. However my action wasn't to address this. It is certainly an
important element in our discussion of what decision to make, though.

Best,
Alan