RE: RDF/XML shorthand for RDF reification

Hi Ian!

Ian Horrocks wrote:

>I'm not an expert in OWL Full matters, but I guess that Peter is
>concerned that the root node of the reified axiom will now become a
>named node, that there could/would be different names in different
>ontologies, and that the entailment would thus be broken.
>
>Ian

Hm, I feel a bit uncomfortable, because I cannot easily tell that I
understand the whole issue here (got lost in the discussion). So I have to
ask: Is it that the RDF mapping would produce fresh "random" URI names as
the root node of an axiom annotation?

Sure, if there are two RDF graphs representing the same axiom annotation,
but having different URIs as their root nodes, then the one annotation graph
does not entail the other one. But what I was about in my original private
mail to Alan was that this situation isn't avoidable in OWL Full, anyway. It
definitely will be possible for OWL 2 Full authors to write an ontology such
as

  michaels:axiom rdf:type owl:Axiom ;
    rdf:subject A ; rdf:predicate rdfs:subClassOf ; rdf:object B ;
    rdfs:label "Foo"^^xsd:string .

  ians:axiom rdf:type owl:Axiom ;
    rdf:subject A ; rdf:predicate rdfs:subClassOf ; rdf:object B ;
    rdfs:label "Foo"^^xsd:string .

where the two axiom annotations only differ in their root node:
'michaels:axiom' vs. 'ians:axiom'. I cannot specify a semantic condition in
OWL Full which only matches on bNodes, but forbids (or ignores) the use of
URIs.

So my point was that nothing new will happen from the point of view of OWL
Full semantics, if the result of the RDF mapping of annotated axioms was an
RDF reification graph with a (random?) URI instead of a bNode. My current
proposal of OWL 2 Full already covers this case out of the box (because I
cannot prevent it), so there would be no additional impact on OWL 2 Full's
semantics.

The only difference would be that the OWL Full semantics of the result of
such a modified RDF mapping would be slightly different compared to the
semantics of the result of the current RDF mapping. But this would be no
surprise: Whenever the RDF mapping for some OWL feature changes, then the
OWL Full semantics of the output graph may change, too. In many cases, this
semantic difference is negligible, though. IMHO, it would be negligible in
our case, since the relevant point of my current proposal of axiom
annotation semantics is simply that the respective axiom triple (or graph)
is entailed from the reification graph (because it isn't yet stated by the
reification itself). This is, however, true in either case.