Re: Primer review, part 1 Introduction, Orientation sections

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:26:20 +0100
To: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>, OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

Jim Hendler wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2008, at 6:24 PM, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>>

>> As Rinke pointed out, Manchester syntax is used in Protege and in
>> TopBraid composer (which is, as you know, a commercial project).
>
> ohh, you're right Bijan, good point - we'll have to get both of those
> organizations to confirm there's no legal entanglements - both are W3C
> members, so we need to make sure that if either organization has plans
> to patent anything based on the use of that syntax. that there are no
> claims - I am not totally up on how patent policy and copyright play
> together in this stuff - Ivan and Sandro, what would we need to do?

Well, if they are part of the working group, the (general) patent policy
applies to them, too. If not, well, they are asked to make disclosures
as W3C members and hopefully they would do it.

However, if the M'r syntax is, well, from Manchester:-), ie, Manchester
University, than we may have no problem there.

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/