Re: Primer review, part 1 Introduction, Orientation sections

I agree that the Manchester syntax is not as official as the others,
but both Protege and TopBraid Composer use it extensively. In fact, I
would not be surprised if many users are not even aware of the more
official syntaxes.

-Rinke

On 21 jan 2008, at 17:43, Jim Hendler wrote:

> I would prefer Turtle (which has at least some status) to Manchester
> Syntax and/or OWL XML - let's at least add Turtle - it's easily
> mappable to RDF/XML but more readable - and it does have a
> recognized document behind it now as well as history of use in W3C
> SWA documents.  The Manchester syntax appears to be defined as the
> research results of a project called "Co-ode" which seems not to
> have any sort of imprimitur -- I would prefer we use Formal syntax,
> RDF/XML and Turtle if we're going to use more than one.
>  -JH
>

> On Jan 21, 2008, at 7:45 AM, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the feedback on our first draft. I take it that you do
>> like the technology perspective approach, at least in principle.
>> On 21 Jan 2008, at 06:47, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>>
>>> These comments are on the Primer document http://webont.org/owl/documents/primer.html
>>>  as accessed late night 1/20/2007. They are detailed comments on
>>> the Introduction an Orientation sections. Review of other sections
>>> will follow.

>>> descriptions don't adequately introduce OWL from the point of view
>>> of someone embedded in the technology described, which I think is
>>> important for drawing readers in. Ideally the orientations would
>>> make affirmative statements about why people coming from
>>> experiences with their technology might be interested in OWL, and
>>> what they should not expect to find.
>>
>> We need to take care to balance breath and depth. I believe we can
>> expect to "set the frame" adequately with this document, but then
>> we should hope that people are inspired by this section to write
>> more detailed perspectival discussions, or to go to lists, etc.
>>
>> So some sense of how much more text you think is reasonable for
>> these intro sections would be good.
>>
>> Also, I think scattering some "NOTE FOR RDFERS: You can see blah
>> balh balh" through the example discussion could be more helpful
>> than adding a lot more upfront discussion.
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Introduction doesn't mention important bits about design
>>> considerations for OWL - that it there are known algorithms that
>>> can give complete answers etc, and that is is designed to the most
>>> expressive language for which one can do this, and why it is
>>> important to aim for this.
>>
>> I'm not sure foregrounding this in this way is all that helpful.
>> I'd rather talk about "yes and no" answers along the way. I mean,
>> variable free syntax is an important design consideration as well
>> historically, but I don't see it's good to *foreground* that.
>>
>> [snip]
>>> "both OWL and XML have an object oriented approach"
>>>
>>> I don't consider OWL to be object oriented,
>>
>> This would seem to be a very much minority view.
>>
>>> and think this will confuse rather than help.
>>
>> Well, the point is for both XML and OOP sections are to say,
>> roughly, Yes we have classes and objects, but don't rely on your
> [...]

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: hoekstra@uva.nl    Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499     Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,          Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,            PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,             The Netherlands