Re: Consensus on ISSUE-73 (was Re: Universal Property)

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:36:33 +0000
Cc: "Web Ontology Language ((OWL)) Working Group WG" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>, Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>

On 18 Jan 2008, at 16:06, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
[snip]
> "(i.e., we had consensus on the telecon)"
> no, I voted against (I suggest review the IRC)

You voted against in a straw poll and when asked didn't call for a
formal vote and indicated that you didn't formally object.

http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/policies.html#Consensus

Saying you didn't formally object means that, in a formal vote, you
would at worst abstain. So we have non-unanimous consensus:

"""Where unanimity is not possible, a group should strive to make
consensus decisions where there is significant support and few
abstentions."""

We had strong evidence of two abstentions (i.e., Jim literally used
the word "abstain" and you said, and I quote the minutes "it's not a
formal objection"). By definition we have consensus.