Re: ISSUE-94 (n-ary constucts and RDF): Problem with roundtripping when going from functional-style syntax into RDF and back

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:47:13 +0100
To: OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
Boris,

I need a clarification.

OWL Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> 4. Proposed solution
> --------------------
>
> The general approach to handling this issue would be along the lines of AllDifferent from OWL 1.0. Consider again axiom (1). If n is equal to 2, then, to be compatible with OWL 1.0, we might translate the axiom into (2). If n is different from 2, however, we would translate it into the following RDF triples:
>
> (8) _:x rdf:type owl11:AllEquivalentClasses
> (9) _:x owl11:members T(SEQ c_1 ... c_n)

My understanding is that

EquivalentClasses( c_1 ... c_n )

does not define any new entity, but makes a statement about existing
ones. However

_:x rdf:type owl11:AllEquivalentClasses
_:x owl11:members T(SEQ c_1 ... c_n)

introduces a new resource (_:x) and makes statement on that new
resource. Are these two really the same?

I may have missed something, though

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/