Re: skolems: visible differences?

On Jan 13, 2008, at 12:59 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: skolems: visible differences?
> Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 00:09:43 +0000
>
>> On Jan 12, 2008, at 11:52 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> If that is the case, could we simply have the syntax allow turtle
>>> style bnode syntax _:xxx for individual names and have these be
>>> considered anonymous individuals in the way RDF people are used to
>>> writing them?
>>
>> Yep.
>
> I'm not sure how RDF people are used to writing anonymous individuals.

They use BNodes.

> Could someone provide some pointers to how this is expected to work?

As with most RDF systems (or, for example SPARQL) BNodes are
interpreted as skolem for entailment or query purposes and thought of
as (local) names by users. The main issue is that BNode identifiers
are local to a graph so must be handled carefully on merge. Leaning
graphs can be seen as a procedure for introducing a set of equalities
according to a fairly specific procedure.