Test process

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 14:02:15 +0000
To: "Web Ontology Language ((OWL)) Working Group WG" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

For ACTION-46 I have drafted:

http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Test

This will need review, and (hopefully) approval by the WG as part of our
test process.

There are also some key areas where modification will be needed.

Areas I hope are uncontentious:

- Test Types
- Extra Credit Tests
- required metadata for each test (under Test Creation)
http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Test#Test_Creation
- Test approval process
- editor discretion for test modification
   (although this partly depends on the editors)
- Most of the stylistic preferences from last time

Areas I believe will require work

- format for test files (I believe many WG members would be unhappy with
the previous WG's decision that RDF/XML was the only normative format)
- how to collect the test. The 2004 Tests were collected in directories
(one for each issue). I believe that there is enthusiasm for using the
Wiki this time, so we will need to document the process that works with
that. However, I suggest that numbering related tests from 001 to 999 is
a good idea, and that the numbering conventions from the old group
should be carried forward.

I suggest we have a test item on the agenda for the next telecon.

Jeremy