Re: PROPOSAL to close ISSUE-55 as postponed

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 08:45:49 -0500
Cc: alanruttenberg@gmail.com, public-owl-wg@w3.org
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
FWIW, my understanding is that from the point of view of this WG
there's very little difference - the issue is "dealt with" and not
discussed further (unless something new comes along or etc., but
that's true of a closed issue as well) - the main difference is the
signal it sends externally - by Postponing we suggest to the
community that this is an issue to work on and to revisit in the
future, and as such I endorse doing it in this case
  -JH

On Jan 8, 2008, at 2:23 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> What is the difference between POSTPONING an issue versus simply
> CLOSING
> the issue in this WG?  (The reasoning I am asking is that I am unclear
> as to whether there is any technical or resource reason why this issue
> should be postponed instead of closed.)
>
> Peter F. Patel-Schneider
> Bell Labs Research
>
> From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
> Subject: PROPOSAL to close ISSUE-55 as postponed
> Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 00:22:44 -0500
>
>> Following a discussion with Ian, in which we acknowledge Peter's
>> comment below and subsequent discussion on the mailing list, and
>> Jim's desire to postpone this issue,  Ian and I propose that we close
>> the issue by postponing it, noting Peter's comment.
>>
>> -Alan
>>
>> On Dec 16, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>
>>> It appears to me that ISSUE-55 asks for a solution that eliminates
>>> the differences between rdfs:Class and owl:Class, or a statement as
>>> to why this is not a good idea.  There have already been statements
>>> that say why rdfs:Class and owl:Class are different.

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept