ISSUE-3 and RDF simple entailment

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:22:48 +0000
To: "Web Ontology Language ((OWL)) Working Group WG" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
CC: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>

One question that came up in HP discussion was whether the proposed
resolution to ISSUE-3 would break the monotonicity requirement for
semantic extensions
http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#MonSemExt

I suggested that the proposal does break this requirement. Here are the
test cases, are these correct?

Here is a simple test case:

_:a rdf:type owl:Thing.
eg:dp rdf:type owl:DatatypeProperty .
_:a eg:dp "foo".

B:
_:b rdf:type owl:Thing.
eg:dp rdf:type owl:DatatypeProperty .
_:b eg:dp "foo".

A simple-entails B.
A simple-entails A.
A owl-1.0-dl-entails B.
A owl-1.0-dl-entails A.
A does not owl-1.1-dl-entail A.
A does not owl-1.1-dl-entail B.

If I have understood some of the other aspects of OWL 1.1 DL then also
the following:
C:
_:c eg:dp "foo".

D:
_:d eg:dp "foo".

C simple-entails C.
C simple-entails D.
C does not owl-1.1-dl-entail C.
C does not owl-1.1-dl-entail D.

Note: these show why this change while in keeping with Peter's
characterization [1] of the relationship between OWL Full and OWL DL
(OWL DL is weaker than OWL Full), misses the relationship between OWL DL
and RDFS, which is - on the syntactic subset that is OWL DL, OWL DL is
stronger than RDFS.

Jeremy

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2007Dec/0162