RE: ISSUE-68 (was Re: nonmon mapping and punning)

Hi, again!

I wanted to add that the problem related to ISSUE-68, which I described in my previous mail, exists for several kinds of axioms:

  * cardinality restrictions
  * sub property axioms
  * equivalent property axioms
  * functional property axioms

For example:

  O1 has only ObjectPropertyS p1,p2, and SubObjectPropertyOf(p1,p2)
  O2 has only DataPropertyS p1,p2 and SubDataPropertyOf(p1,p2)
  O3 imports O1 and O2

After RDF-mapping and merging the following RDF graph results:

  T(O*) = {
    p1 rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty .
    p1 rdf:type owl:DatatypeProperty .

    p2 rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty .
    p2 rdf:type owl:DatatypeProperty .

    p1 rdfs:subPropertyOf p2 .
  }

Again, T(O*) cannot be inverse-mapped to Functional Syntax.

The general "problem pattern" seems to be the following: An ontology O imports two (or more) other ontologies O1 and O2, where

  * O1 contains /only/ an ObjectProperty p, on which it has one of the axioms mentioned above
   (analogue argumentation for only DataProperty p ommitted here)

  * O2 contains /at least/ a DataProperty with the same name "p", and with the datatype-version of the same axiom on p.

Even if O2 contains p both as a DataProperty and an ObjectProperty, the OWL-1.0 version of the respective axiom's representation will exist in the final merge graph, resulting from the RDF-mapping of O1 (this is actually Peter's original example). And this OWL-1.0 version of the axiom, in combination with the two different typing axioms for p, will stop the merge graph from being inverse-mapped to Functional syntax.

Best,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe