Re: Fragments discussion, continued

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:56:53 +0000
To: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>
CC: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, Boris Motik <boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk>, "'Web Ontology Language ((OWL)) Working Group WG'" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

On DL-Lite

Jim Hendler wrote:
> telecon) - so those have both been motivated.  You've suggested another
> fragment move Rec track, and all I'm asking is whether you can motivate
> it on the same dimensions that the others were.

I think on the telecon we had a view that the fewer rec-track fragments
the better, but we need to rec-track those fragments where we expect
there to be a genuine need for interoperability between commercial
systems. I think Bijan characterized this as a CR exit criteria to do
with two 'production quality' implementations targetting that fragment.

I personally would prefer if Jim could state an opposition to DL-Lite in
a constructive tone of - if at the end of CR we have N implementations
of DL-Lite that have properties A, B and C then DL-Lite is a worthwhile
recommendation, otherwise not.

I think the point has been made that since an OWL DL implementation is a
DL-Lite implementation, to be meaningful at least some of the properties
A, B and C have to be ones that a non-optimized DL implementation would
not meet. e.g. it could be a complexity measure.

In a sense, the DL-Lite advocates should be outlining such properties,
which would help articulate why the fragment is useful. The bumper
sticker seems to be "scalable A-Box reasoning" so turn that into an
objective measure that can be checked at CR.

(We could have tests with substantial A-Box and the CR exit criteria for
DL-Lite is that the DL-Lite implementations should be significantly
faster than the DL implementations)

I hope that we can be serious about taking fragments to CR while being
neutral about whether they end in Rec or WG Note - either state being
satisfactory - the difference being about the level of real interest
exhibited during CR

Jeremy