completeness

From: Ulrike Sattler <sattler@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:54:00 +0000
To: public-owl-wg@w3.org

Hi,

I thought I'd share some of my thoughts regarding completeness,
scalability, & interoperability that might explain why I keep
shouting "what do you mean by *scalable*"?

1) Even I can write a very scalable OWL DL query answering engine if
it doesn't have to be complete: when asked to retrieve instances of a
class C, it simply always only returns nothing...wait, I can even do
better by returning "told" instances of C!

2) If we agree that (1) is sort of cheating, then we need to be more
precise what "completeness" means: now, if we say "my engine will
retrieve as many instances of C as it can manage in the given time",
then we might get more than the told instances, but we could be  in
trouble regarding interoperability: your engine could return a very
different answer set from mine, since they have different strengths
or optimisation techniques or,e.g., rule orderings.

So, what I would like to see as a clarification of "we can trade a
bit of completeness for some scalability" is a description what
*kind* of completeness we give up for (ideally) how much gain in
performance.

Cheers, Uli