owl lite and punning

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:46:35 +0000
To: "Web Ontology Language ((OWL)) Working Group WG" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

Concerning ACTION-88

Michael wondered about the impact of OWL 1.1 punning on OWL Lite.

I think this is a non-issue.

For any OWL 1.1 feature (e.g. QCRs) we have to decide whether or not
that is included in OWL Lite.

Due to the design goals of OWL Lite, we clearly default as 'no - it's
not included'. Punning is one of these; and so no OWL Lite does not
include punning (although we might get user feedback from actual OWL
Lite users suggesting we should include it)

While this is a somewhat strange syntactic constraint on OWL Lite vs OWL
1.1 DL, it is not that much stranger than say allowing minCardinality
restrictions only with values 0 and 1.

Jeremy