Re: OWL Full proposal (sort of) - addressing my Action

I'd be fine with this - but just to be clear, we're talking about
documenting OWL 1.1 Full here, not DL which, as I understand it, is
not yet under development - apologies if I've missed something from a
recent UFDTF decision.
  -JH

On Feb 12, 2008, at 1:09 PM, Ian Horrocks wrote:

> I share Jeremy's desire to maintain a significant degree of rigour
> w.r.t. OWL Full; in fact I would say the same for all species/
> fragments/conformance-levels. Moreover, from what Jim says in emails
> such as [1] it would seem that he has no objection to this and
> perhaps even believes it to be mandatory. Instead, what he seems to
> be asking for (in [1] at least) is a more human readable explanation
> for those who find model theories difficult to understand. I don't
> see any problem with that -- in fact we already have a commitment to
> producing such documents and even a UFDTF busily engaged in their
> development. So, if we were to agree to produce a "delta to OWL-1.0-
> Full" as outlined by Michael in [2] plus suitable documentation for
> the MT-challenged, would this satisfy everyone's requirements?
>
> Ian
>
> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2008Feb/
> 0069.html
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2008Feb/
> 0068.html
>

> On 11 Feb 2008, at 09:05, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>

>> I found Peter's clarification of the semantic options helpful;
>> perhaps in allowing me to understand why I was uncomfortable with
>> Jim's proposal.
>>
>> Jim seems to be suggesting something inbetween Peter's "D/
>> Informal" and his "C/ Operational".
>> I fear we would find a long term loss in interoperability, for a
>> short term gain in ease of reaching a design.
>>
>> I note that any of Peter's A/ Model theory E/ Transformational or
>> F/ Axiomatic can give the same level of rigour and, since we start
>> with model theoretic approaches we may as well continue with them,
>> if we want this level of rigour.
>>
>> Jim appears to not want that.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> I do want to maintain significant degree of rigour with the
>> definition of OWL Full for a variety of reasons.
>>
>> 1) Architectural
>>
>> My understanding of the Semantic Web is that the semantics is
>> attached to the RDF graph, and different layers can *add*
>> additional semantics to a graph by means of providing semantic
>> extensions (and/or definitions of classes and properties in terms
>> of ontology languages such as RDFS and OWL).
>> Since these semantics are additions within a strict monotonic
>> paradigm, a certain degree of interoperation is provided.
>>
>> There are a variety of errors in the history of RDF prior to the
>> introduction of the RDF Semantics (e.g. containers and
>> reification), where an informal and partially operational semantics
>> results in systems that do not have such well behaved semantics and
>> have unpredictable behaviour.
>>
>> So the model theoretic semantics provides a discipline against error.
>>
>> 2) Minimize change
>>
>> I personally see OWL 1.1 as a small change on OWL 1.0. The two key
>> changes I believe are QCRs and subproperty chains.
>>
>> I am less than happy with almost any change over and above these,
> [...]

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept