RE: Why has the RDF mapping conditional mapping rules? (ISSUE-68)

Bijan Parsia wrote:

>On Feb 5, 2008, at 10:43 PM, Michael Schneider wrote:
>[snip]
>> But I do not understand what advantage have these conditional rules
>> for
>> backwards compatibility.
>
>Think roundtripping.

Hm, I don't understand. Wouldn't roundtripping be even more save without
these conditional rules? (Apart from simplifying the RDF mapping.)

>> I do not even understand where the FS-to-RDF
>> mapping touches questions of backwards compatibility. Isn't backwards
>> compatibility only a relevant topic for the RDF-2-FS mapping [3] ?
>
>Even without precise roundtripping, you need to be able to get from a
>FS ontology to an OWL 1.0 RDF/XML document
>which means that, where
>possible, you need to reuse old constructs.

Why that? I thought roundtripping is about getting from FS to RDF (abstract
data model, not some specific serialization!) and back again, receiving
(more or less) exactly the original FS-style ontology. But even if
roundtripping goes through RDF/XML, why does it have to be an OWL *1.0*
RDF/XML document?

>The new constructs were
>introduced to cope with ambiguity when you pun, so using them
>everywhere seems a bit harsh.

But:

  <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-owl-wg/2007Oct/0171.html>

>I wouldn't mind *encouraging* using the typed vocabulary everywhere,
>but I also suspect that people interested in doing that would use the
>XML syntax.

Personally, I am (and was from the beginning) in favour of the new "typed"
names - with or without punning. :)

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
Email: Michael.Schneider@fzi.de

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe