Re: Why has the RDF mapping conditional mapping rules? (ISSUE-68)

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 22:59:23 +0000
Cc: <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: "Michael Schneider" <schneid@fzi.de>

On Feb 5, 2008, at 10:43 PM, Michael Schneider wrote:
[snip]
> But I do not understand what advantage have these conditional rules
> for
> backwards compatibility.

Think roundtripping.

> I do not even understand where the FS-to-RDF
> mapping touches questions of backwards compatibility. Isn't backwards
> compatibility only a relevant topic for the RDF-2-FS mapping [3] ?

Even without precise roundtripping, you need to be able to get from a
FS ontology to an OWL 1.0 RDF/XML document, which means that, where
possible, you need to reuse old constructs. The new constructs were
introduced to cope with ambiguity when you pun, so using them
everywhere seems a bit harsh.

I wouldn't mind *encouraging* using the typed vocabulary everywhere,
but I also suspect that people interested in doing that would use the
XML syntax.