XML Syntax: Attributes

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:36:16 +0100
To: W3C OWL Working Group <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

I propose that we put the attributes into "no namespace" rather than
into whatever namespace we pick.

Rationale: Unprefixed attributes do not inherit the default
namespace. This is a deliberate design decision of XML namespaces.
The idea is that bare attribute names which are *only* used in a
specific vocabulary are sufficiently disambiguated by their parent
element. Attributes that are intended to *cross* vocabularies (such
as xml:lang or xlink attributes) *are* encouraged to be put into a
namespace (for obvious reasons).

The advantage of keeping the attributes namespaceless is that, with a
default namespace declaration, OWL/XML will not need *any* prefixes
for elements and attributes. Frankly, this is a huge authoring and
reading win. It also means one can *just* use QNames for uri
abbreviation (assuming we allow QNames in attribute content...subject
of a future post!).

My understanding is that no namespace attributes are the preferred
design in this case anyway. We don't intend for these attributes to
be used anywhere but in our vocabulary and it's pretty clear that no
one would want them :)