Re: proposal to close ISSUE-137 (rdfstypesbackward): Table 4 in RDF mapping introduces incompatibility with OWL 1

On Aug 21, 2008, at 8:53 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> It appears to me that this would mean that the RDF graph
>
> 	ex:foo rdf:type rdf:Property
> 	ex:foo rdf:type owl:Class
>
> would reverse-map to
>
> 	Ontology ( Declaration( Class ( ex:foo ) ) )
>
> I don't think that it is a good idea to perform such drastic surgery
> in
> the reverse mapping - throwing away the indication that ex:foo is to
> be
> considered a property.

All declarations are nonlogical and even the Class declaration is not
required in OWL 2. Some tools, in round tripping, might preserve
structure and reserialize the Class declaration, but we don't require
this behavior. Similarly, nothing prevents tools from preserve triples
that are otherwise discarded and including them when reserializing to
RDF.

> Further, I expect that almost all RDF graphs that contain
>
> 	ex:foo rdf:type rdf:Property
>
> will also use ex:foo *as* a property, perhaps like
>
> 	ex:subject ex:foo ex:object
>
> The proposed change would not result in graphs like this being
> acceptable OWL 2 DL.

If there is another declaration somewhere else in the imports closure
that declares foo as an ObjectProperty, DatatypeProperty, or
AnnotationProperty, then this graph will be acceptable. That is the
expected use case.

> PS: Of course, repairs could perform effective fix-ups for many graphs

> that are not acceptable OWL 2 DL in this way.

In my opinion, there is no point in relying on repairs for something
that can be handled adequately within the language. There is a general
sentiment that allowing more RDF to be used as OWL is a good thing -
this is one of the arguments for punning. The original OWL 1 design
allowed this feature. I don't see that allowing it in OWL 2 harms
anything, and leaving it out causes an unnecessary backwards
incompatibility.

Alan