primer gui

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Subject: Primer multiple syntaxes (process + gui coordination)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:14:24 -0400

[...]

> > Obviously, this many can only work if they don't overwhelm the UI (in
> > which cases choices will have to be made), but I'm pretty confident
> > that it won't, done right.
>
> Where are we on the UI?  I did some hacking, then went on vacation and
> Peter did some hacking.  I think we agreed on a UI where before the
> first use, there would be an explanation and a global controller; then
> at each use, there would be a collapsed local controller.  By having
> controllers always above any text they control, we avoid the problem my
> version had of jumping around.

I put in a floating global controller, which I think works well, except
for the jumping around bit.  I didn't like the local controllers,
because they jumped around!   I particularly didn't like the
click-jump-find-position-click behaviour.

It sure would be nice if there was a "change and redisplay but keep the
top of the display window as close to its current position as possible"
operation.

I have some problems with the floating global controller - I would like
it to be a check box, but I can't seem to get that working.

If the local controllers can't be made small enough to fit in one-line
examples, then I don't see how they can ever be suitable.