Re: What is added by functional syntax?

From: Evan Wallace <ewallace@cme.nist.gov>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:28:40 -0400
To: "OWL 1.1" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
> Hypothetically, if we had only had the object/metamodel, and
> documented the global restrictions on axioms in terms of the
> metamodel, what  would we lose (other than a syntax that not many are
> likely to use).
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Alan

The functional syntax gives a concrete and concise form to describe
language elements in the the Model-Theoretic Semantics
(the role of the Abstract Syntax in OWL 1) and the Mapping to RDF
Graphs.  Without it what would you use for the semantics:
XMI* fragments or the XML serialization?

* XMI : XML Metadata Interchange - a mapping of MOF to XML

-Evan