Re: ACTION-178: What is ISSUE-116 (Axiomatic Triples for OWL R) about?

On Aug 12, 2008, at 11:31 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: ACTION-178: What is ISSUE-116 (Axiomatic Triples for
> OWL R) about?
> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:22:40 -0400

>>> But his comment _was_ justified. In
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#RDFINTERP
>>>
>>> the number of axiomatic triples is infinite indeed, due to the
>>> rdf:_i
>>> terms. Herman ter Horst's trick of keeping it finite for a specific
>>> graph tries to get around that problem and thereby making it
>>> possible to
>>> do, eg, a forward chaining on a specific graph (with the caveat that
>>> PFPS just referred to in another mail:-(
>>
>> Yes, but my question to Michael was to this point.  From what he
>> says I
>> don't see that the theoretical existence of an infinite number of
>> triples necessitates their materialization by forward chaining. There
>> are other methods of using rules.
>>
>> -Alan
>
> Which of the other methods of using rules are germane to this
> discussion?

I am trying to understand the underlying assumptions in this
discussion. If no other method of rule applications than forward
chaining are being considered and a solution to this issue should
assume a forward chaining rule engine that would be useful
information. What prompts the questions and comment were an earlier
discussion in which it was mentioned that JENA used a combination of
forward and backwards chaining.

Therefore your question is  one I would I would like answered as
well, but I am not the one to answer it.

-Alan