Re: ACTION-178: What is ISSUE-116 (Axiomatic Triples for OWL R) about?

Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2008, at 11:02 AM, Michael Schneider wrote:
>
>> Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>>
>>> Is the assumption that in OWL R/Full that the only way in which one
>>> determine entailments is to forward chain rules and then look in the
>>> resultant triples for it?
>>
>> It's not an "execution semantics". Instead, there has to *exist* a finite
>> sequence of rule applications, which leads from the LHS to the RHS (or an
>> upper graph of the RHS).
>
> OK. I'm then confused by Ian's comment about generating infinite numbers
> of triples:

But his comment _was_ justified. In

http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/#RDFINTERP

the number of axiomatic triples is infinite indeed, due to the rdf:_i
terms. Herman ter Horst's trick of keeping it finite for a specific
graph tries to get around that problem and thereby making it possible to
do, eg, a forward chaining on a specific graph (with the caveat that
PFPS just referred to in another mail:-(

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/