Re: ISSUE-111 Proposal to Resolve

Having left the WG, I seem to still be being pulled in a lot by side
emails, so let me state, as RPI AC rep, that we don't like this
solution.  I see two problems
  1 - it seems to us that people who use DL are more likely to
understand the difference between DL and Full than those who are just
using the vocabulary, so the chances of this triple being included
seem very low - thus, we'd prefer to see someone who understands that
they want to be only DL should have to do something to signal that
  2 - by this decision, if a user accidently does something to make
their ontology OWL Full, they will be signaling they only want to be
in Full (since it says "should include a triple that takes the
ontology out of OWL DL") -- if the meaning is that we want users to
use only this specific triple, then it seems to me we should do
something more obvious, like putting in some semantics free definition
that expresses intent -- i.e. instead of "sameAs sameAs sameAs"
wouldn't it be a lot smarter for the document to include "[]
intendedUse OWL-Full"?

In fact, given these two factors, it seems like we should either have
explicit means for signaling semantics when intended, or no specified
way, meaning tools have their choice.
   -JH
AC Rep, RPI

On Aug 8, 2008, at 11:31 AM, Ian Horrocks wrote:

> As per discussions and strawpolls at the Boston F2F [1] and our most
> recent telecon [2], I propose that we close this issue by adding to
> the spec the advice that users wanting to ensure that their ontology
> is interpreted *only* as OWL Full should include a triple that takes
> the ontology out of OWL DL, namely:
>
> sameAs sameAs sameAs .
>
> Regards,
> Ian