RE: draft of LC comment to XML Schema WG

Hi Peter!

Sounds like a pretty clear read to me. A few remarks/questions follow
inline.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

>Here is my proposed LC comment to the XML Schema WG concerning datetime.

[snip]

>For the purposes of reasoning in OWL, it is much easier to deal with
>dateTime values where the timezone is present.  Such values can be
>converted to single time points (using timeOnTimeline)

What is 'timeOnTimeline'? Is this something that XSD people know?

>and a complete
>order determined from the time points.  We would thus like to have a
>derived XML Schema datatype for dateTime with a required timezone.  [I
>added this last sentence based on some evidence but the WG should
>confirm.]

How is the XSD group supposed to understand "derived XML Schema datatype"?
As a datatype different from the original xsd:dateTime?

[snip]

>This treatment of dateTime values appears to violate the document, as
>different dateTime values that compare equal according to the document
>are turned into dateTime values that do not compare equal.

I am not clear whether I correctly understand this sentence. Does this refer
to the situation that a non-timezoned dateTime is compared to a dateTime
with a timezone? Because the comparison between two dateTimes without a
timezone should always lead to the same result for both XSD and OWL, or do I
overlook something here?

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
Email: Michael.Schneider@fzi.de

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe