Re: feedback on Easy keys and universal property

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:52:15 +0100
Cc: Alan Wu <alan.wu@oracle.com>, OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: Rinke Hoekstra <hoekstra@uva.nl>

On 25 Apr 2008, at 17:38, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:
> Hi Zhe,
> I personally found Markus' paper "All Elephants are bigger than all
> Mice" [1] a pretty convincing use case. Also, his work on SROIQ-
> Rules and ELP is based on the availability of the top role.

Yep, Alan Rector went on about this use case today at the Ontogenisis
meeting. Crops up all the time in biology (and other areas).

I'll also add, again, that from a tool perspective, having symmetry
between concepts and roles is useful. People will introduce a top
property to have something to hang properties on. Also, having a top
and a bottom property allows us to present certain key entailments
(e.g., unsatisfiable properties).