Re: feedback on Easy keys and universal property

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:52:15 +0100
Cc: Alan Wu <alan.wu@oracle.com>, OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
To: Rinke Hoekstra <hoekstra@uva.nl>

On 25 Apr 2008, at 17:38, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:

> Hi Zhe,
>
> I personally found Markus' paper "All Elephants are bigger than all
> Mice" [1] a pretty convincing use case. Also, his work on SROIQ-
> Rules and ELP is based on the availability of the top role.
[snip]

Yep, Alan Rector went on about this use case today at the Ontogenisis
meeting. Crops up all the time in biology (and other areas).

I'll also add, again, that from a tool perspective, having symmetry
between concepts and roles is useful. People will introduce a top
property to have something to hang properties on. Also, having a top
and a bottom property allows us to present certain key entailments
(e.g., unsatisfiable properties).