Re: closing ISSUE-22 (special syntax for role rule)

I agree, but I think it is not quite so simple. The main issue here might be
that, while many rules can be expressed in OWL2, some of these encodings
would violate the structural restrictions without need. I suggest we consider
at least some special cases of rules here to waive that restriction, and make
room for future rule interfaces on top of OWL2. I agree that we should not
make a new rule language (if anything, one would take OWL2 rules to RIF, I
guess).

For people interested in a formal spec of a larger class of "OWL2 rules", I
point to the following works of ours on the topic:

http://korrekt.org/page/SROIQ_rules
http://korrekt.org/page/ELP

The main work here is to show that one can use rules (hence many other OWL 2
features) with our tractable profiles without hurting the polynomial
reasoning. Moreover, there is also the Protege plugin by Francis Gasse (see
OWLED-Washington papers, joint work with Volker Haarslev and Uli Sattler) to
actually work with such rules -- maybe more concrete proposals could also
emerge from that experience?

Regards,

Markus

--
Markus Krötzsch
Institut AIFB, Universität Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe