General discussion for TC Wednesday 2008-04-21

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:13:03 -0400
To: OWL Working Group WG <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

This wednesday our general discussion will be on the Easy Keys
proposal that is described at [1].

In order to have an informed discussion, please review the proposal,
which has been updated recently.

Some discussion points:

Expressivity: The proposal explains: "Why not easiest keys?". Are
there questions about the motivations for the increase in
expressivity. Potential implementors - do you expect that the
implementation requirements are manageable and do you expect to
implement the proposal.

Semantics: Boris and others  had questions at the F2F regarding
leading to the suggestion that the semantics being more clearly
specified. Are they well enough specified now? What issues remain.

Syntax: The proposal suggests using the serialization proposed by the
RIF BLD[2] for easy keys. A quick glance at the document cited
reveals only an XML syntax, and the RIF/RDF/OWL documentation[3]
suggests that combinations of RIF and RDF be made by way of using
multiple documents.  Is there a RDF syntax proposed, and if not are
we comfortable with having key axioms specified in a non-RDF syntax.

Documentation: What impact would adding Easy Keys have on our user
facing documentation?

Action: If we want to get this feature in to OWL 2 and remain on
schedule we will need to act quickly. What action items need to be
assigned, and which are you willing to work on?

-Alan

[1] http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Easy_Keys
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-bld/
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/rif-rdf-owl/