RE: Profiles intro

From: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:49:19 +0200
To: "Carsten Lutz" <clu@tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de>
Cc: "Ivan Herman" <ivan@w3.org>, "OWL Working Group WG" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
Carsten Lutz answered to Ivan Herman:

>> It is interesting to note that on such high level there
>> is no real difference between DL-Lite and OWL-R, and
>> the only way to differentiate them on that level is
>> how they are implemented.

>Yes, a main difference between DL-Lite and OWL-R is
>implementation techniques.

In order to get away a bit from this notion of an "implementation
techniques" based distinction (although I am personally quite happy with it,
because the "users" of our profiles are actually implementors of semantic
services or tools or whatever, and they probably often enough *will*, quite
significantly, perceive such differences between implementation aspects):

What about comparing OWL-R with the other profiles w.r.t. the computational
complexity of solving a certain reasoning task, which has not yet been
mentioned in the profiles document: Calculating the entailment closure (or
perhaps a sized part of it) of a given knowledge base for the respective
language? Would this make sense?

Cheers,
Michael

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe