RE: Axiomatic triples in OWL-R-Full?

If not, then I would put it in the Full-TF issues list at

  <http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/FullIssues#Open_TF_Issues>

simply to avoid that this topic gets lost.

>> The question whether to include axiomatic triples or not
>depends on whether we want the semantics of OWL R Full to be
>an upper semantics of RDFS or not.
>>
>> Just one technical/theoretical remark for the moment: To
>receive strict RDFS compatibility, it is necessary to include
>all of the following axiomatic triples, for every natural language n:
>>

>My understanding of Horst's paper is that _for a given graph_
>calculating the RDFS closure (ie, by induction, the OWL-R-Full
>closure,
>too) is doable because one can add only those rdf:_n related axiomatic
>triples by limiting 'n' to the highest occurrence of an rdf:_i
>usage in
>the original graph.

I understand terHorst in this way, too. This always leads to a finite entailment closure for the empty RDF graph. IIRC, several of the theorems in the pD* paper are based on this result.

>I may have missed something in fine print in the
>paper, but my understanding is that this is perfectly doable, proper,
>and we would then get back to a safe, finite world.

Without having thought more deeply about this, I wouldn't expect any semantical disadvantages in only having these "input driven" finite sets of axiomatic triples.

The only theoretical problem which immediately comes to my mind would be if there was a comprehension principle for RDF collections in the same way as their is one for lists. Such a comprehension principle would state:

  "If you have entities x1, ..., xn,
  then there exists some bag
  which contains x1, ..., xn as its members."

But there isn't such a comprehension principle in current OWL 1 Full, simply because OWL Full does not use containers, only lists. So no danger from this side.

Such a "on demand" introduction of axiomatic triples would probably put a slight burdon on the implementors to do some preprocessing on the input graph in order to create the necessary axiomatic triples. But this shouldn't be no big deal in practice, I suppose. Perhaps for very large RDF graphs contained in databases, but people will certainly come to clever ideas like "lazy axiomatic triple introduction" or whatever.