RE: Axiomatic triples in OWL-R-Full?

From: Michael Schneider <schneid@fzi.de>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:18:16 +0200
To: "Ivan Herman" <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: "W3C OWL Working Group" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>
Hi, Ivan!

This is a good observation, and I think an issue should be raised for it.

The question whether to include axiomatic triples or not depends on whether we want the semantics of OWL R Full to be an upper semantics of RDFS or not.

Just one technical/theoretical remark for the moment: To receive strict RDFS compatibility, it is necessary to include all of the following axiomatic triples, for every natural language n:

>From RDF semantics:

   rdf:_n rdf:type rdf:Property

>From RDFS semantics:

   rdf:_n rdf:type rdfs:ContainerMembershipProperty
   rdf:_n rdfs:domain rdfs:Resource
   rdf:_n rdfs:range rdfs:Resource

Obviously, these are *infinitely* many axiomatic triples. In practice this would mean that complete OWL R Full conformance would probably not be possible to achieve. So it would be up to the implementors to decide about the intended conformance level of their product.

Ivan Herman wrote:

>(This may have to be raised as a more formal ISSUE. Also: it
>is _not_ my
>intention to get this problem solved before the upcoming
>publication round!)
>The current OWL-R-Full does not include 'axiomatic triples' to
>be added
>to the resulting graph. What I mean is to add triples like
>etc. See for the RDF Semantics for a bunch of those in RDFS,
>and Horst's
>paper on pD* for their OWL equivalents.
>I am not saying we must have those; this is clearly touching upon the
>issue whether the core RDF/RDFS/OWL vocabulary is an object of
>or not in OWL-R-Full. We _could_ therefore, explicitly say that those
>axiomatic triples are not defined in OWL-R-Full. That would mean that
>some (valid) RDFS or OWL Full entailements are not meaningful in
>OWL-R-Full, ie, OWL-R is also defined as a syntactic
>restriction v.a.v.
>OWL 2 Full and not only OWL 2 DL.
>Again, I am not saying this is wrong. But the decision should be made
>explicitly and documented in the profile document as well.
>Alternatively, we could add those axiomatic triples for
>OWL-R-Full (but
>then the relationship between OWL-R-Full and OWL-R-DL becomes
>less clear...)
>Ivan Herman, W3C Semantic Web Activity Lead
>Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
>PGP Key: http://www.ivan-herman.net/pgpkey.html
>FOAF: http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
Email: Michael.Schneider@fzi.de

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe