A proposal for reintroducing deprecations into OWL 2 and thus addressing ISSUE-90

From: Boris Motik <boris.motik@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 21:39:25 -0400
To: "'public-owl-wg'" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

Hello,

As required by ACTION-130, here is my proposal for reintroducing deprecations into OWL 2 and thus addressing ISSUE-90.

In OWL 2 structural specification, deprecations should be encoded using annotations: to say that some entity e is deprecated, you
would simply add an annotation with the owl2:deprecated property and the value of "true"^^xsd:boolean. For example, to say that the
a:person class is deprecated, you would do this:

EntityAnnotation( a:person
  Annotation( owl2:deprecated "true"^^xsd:boolean )
)

This may be unwieldy, so we would also have a syntactic shortcut Deprecated for
  Annotation( owl2:deprecated "true"^^xsd:boolean ).
Thus, you could achieve the same goal as above with the following axiom:

EntityAnnotation( a:person
  Deprecated
)

The RDF mapping would be extended by mapping the above axiom into the triple
  < a:person, rdf:type, owl:DeprecatedClass >.
The reverse mapping would be updated accordingly: there will be an explicit mapping for triples of the form < x, rdf:type,
owl:DeprecatedClass >, and the mappings for annotations will be extended to exclude (i.e., not to "fire" for) the case when the
annotationPropertyURI is owl2:deprecated.

The treatment of properties would be analogous, just with owl:DeprecatedProperty instead of owl:DeprecatedClass.

Finally, the XML syntax would be extended with a shortcut for deprecations.

Please let me know how you feel about this.

Regards,

	Boris