HP comments on OWL-R

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 16:38:30 +0100
To: "Web Ontology Language ((OWL)) Working Group WG" <public-owl-wg@w3.org>

Completing ACTION-76:

I asked the Jena implementors to look at the OWL-R section of the
fragments document. The high-level comments are:

- We expect to implement OWL-R, within the Candidate Rec time frame.
(possibly quicker!)

- We have previously used rule based reasoners to good effect.

- We note the following design choice and bring it to the working
group's attention:

    + expressivity vs ease-of-implementation

with respect to:

a) equality

and

b) b-node introduction.

We have found both of these features add to expressivity and usefulness
of a rule based approach to OWL Full reasoning, and both lead to
performance issues.

We note that the OWL-R definition includes (a) and not (b).

That tradeoff seems appropriate to us but this is a choice that should
be highlighted during public review.

====

I have added the last point as review comment into the profiles draft

Jeremy