Re: User Facing Documents

Hi Bijan,

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> [I trust I can post this without getting accused of being anti-user,
> user-unknowing, narrowly technical, or whatever other dismissal de jour
> is in the air.]

:-)

Maybe it is worth to look at the first OWL 'suite' and see how the
different documents scored in this sense. Unfortunately, I have only
purely anecdotal evidence based on my own personal experience when I
began to learn that stuff (and I had no description logic background at
all when I started [not that I would claim to have a solid one now
either]), as well as when I talked to people at various meetings,
tutorials, and the like. The two top scores were the OWL Guide and the
OWL Language Reference. I firmly believe that the general acceptance of
OWL was hugely helped by the publication of those two documents together
with the heavy stuff. The former gave an easy entry to the whole area,
and the latter was the document to keep under your pillow until you knew
all that stuff from the top of your head (I remember I made an SVG
representation for all the classes on OWL to help myself visualize the
whole maze). Note that the guide is far from being a full tutorial; but
it could strike the right balance.

The situation with OWL1.1 might be a little bit different, because the
possible audience is not in an unknown territory any more. But there are
still lots of people out there for whom OWL is as new as it was 3-4
years ago.

Bottomline: I think that having those two documents reproduced, so to
say, for OWL1.1 would be very important. And, in many respect, we are
not even forced to reinvent the wheel; we could start from the existing
documents and expand those to include the new features. (Well, there is
a caveat, see below.)

My 2 pence for you and 2 eurocents for me...

Ivan

P.S. The caveat: the guide was based on a wine ontology. I remember
having had feedbacks then that were not happy with the choice of topics,
namely people from muslim countries. Not necessarily for religious
reasons but because the text somehow took it as a common knowledge that,
for example, there is such thing as white and red wine and those are
different. Well, that may not be common knowledge...

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/