Re: comments on RDF mapping

I think the best way to address punning is by stating the requirement
and looking at whether:

a) this requirement is a requirement, and how widespread
b) whether punning meets this requirement

The only articualtion of the requirement that I am familiar with is:

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/webont-issues.html#I5.19-Classes-as-instances

During the earlier group I felt that it was understood that the
requirement was not just that you could use the same name for a class as
for an instance, but that some logical consequences would follow.

for example
http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-test/byFunction#sameAs-001

This is an OWL 1.0 Full entailment, which (perhaps with minor syntactic
change) would become an OWL 1.1 DL non-entailment (if I have understood
punning semantics correctly).

This seems like a divergence away from OWL 1.0 balance between Full and
DL, and also a divergence away from what I believe the requirement of
classes as instances is. If two items are the same instance, then they
are necessarily the same class.

The tests that I think express the punning issue are:

<a> owl:sameAs <b>

entails

<a> owl:equivalentClass <b>

and

<a> owl:sameAs <b>

entails

<a> owl:equivalentProperty <b>

I currently believe that the member submission OWL 1.1 semantics has
these both as non-entailments, and that a requirements doc for the use
case of using an instance URI as a class URI or an instance URI as a
property URI would have these entailments as holding.

(Obviously it is possible to give a post hoc rationale in which these
entailments are unimportant - it is easier to tell whether or not a
design meets a requirement if the requirement is written down, before
the design is)

Since the OWL 1.0 design solves this problem, in the manner given by

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/webont-issues.html#I5.19-Classes-as-instances
[[
Part of OWL Full.
]]
(and syntactically excluded from OWL DL)

I personally see a variation in which this becomes

"Part of OWL Full; syntactically permitted in OWL DL, but with weaker
semantics."

as a backward step

Jeremy