Re: OWL DL and OWL Full

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>
Subject: OWL DL and OWL Full (was Re: comments on RDF mapping)
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:16:11 -0400

> I think Jeremy's comments raise an important issue that is sometimes
> a bit confused in this WG list so far -- there's a tendency to use
> "OWL" to mean "OWL DL" on the part of some people and to mean "OWL
> FULL" (which is essentially the OWL vocabulary used w/o worrying
> about the DL restrictions).  There are two important constituencies
> who use the term differently - the more formal set which is well-
> represented on the WG, and the people putting OWL to work in the sort
> of broad applications like Twine, who are primarily using a little
> OWL on big RDF graphs.  These may well grow together over time, but
> at the moment I think it is very important that we be clear when we
> work that both of these are important - and make sure when people say
> things like "OWL 1.0 didn't allow" to realize that OWL 1.0 allowed a
> lot of things in Full and less in DL.   The WG was unable to come to
> a consensus that "OWL" should mean one of these or the other, and
> thus we were careful to include the modifiers in both cases.  We need
> to be very sure as we work on "OWL 1.1" that we are taking the same
> care or we risk alienating one or the other of (at least) two
> important user communities.
>   -JH

Is there any technical information available about Twine?  I can't find
out much information about it on the web site (http://www.twine.com/)
except that it just went into private beta (whatever that is), that it
is a product of Radar Networks (http://www.radarnetworks.com/), that
there are some patented web-related techniques incorporated in it, that
there are lots of press release on it, and that you are the first
advisor to Radar Networks.

peter

PS: I note that some of the press about Twine mentions OWL, without any
     modifier.  Perhaps you should address your words to the Twine
     people as well.