Re: Serialization issues

On 26 Oct 2007, at 18:09, Elisa F. Kendall wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are some things that we can do in the metamodel to specify
> ordering - I'll need to investigate what is supported in OCL, as it
> would be better, given that you want it to be optional, to provide
> optional ordering constraints rather than creating mandatory
> ordering requirements on the diagrams themselves.
>
> In the ODM metamodels for RDF and OWL 1.0, we separate the notion
> of a statement occuring in a graph from that same statement
> occurring in a particular document; RDF statements can be ordered
> within the document(s) that they occur in.  This isn't a constraint
> on the core RDF metamodel, but in a separate, optional package
> where we defined notions such as namespaces, URIs, documents, etc.
> See section 10.7 in [1] for details.  Jeremy and Dave Reynolds
> helped us tease out the relationship between graphs and documents,
> which may be useful for this discussion.
>
> We should think about whether you want to impose ordering
> (optionally) on all possible concrete syntaxes or only in some cases

As I discussed. I think we have to make it optional, i.e., give a
"canonical RDF/XML", at least for RDF/XML.

> - say, for example, yes if RDF/XML, no if N3.  I'm not advocating
> either way, but the decision to impose ordering, even optionally,
> if done in the abstract syntax, would apply to all potential
> concrete syntaxes.
[snip]

No, since in the mapping you could relax things. This, in fact,
happens in the current RDF to Abstract/Functional syntax. In that
case *parts* of axioms can be scattered in the RDF that cannot be
scattered in the Functional syntax. Which way you do this is merely a
matter of specification taste.