ISSUE-35: terminology confusions throughout spec docs

From: OWL <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:10:58 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-owl-wg@w3.org

ISSUE-35: terminology confusions throughout spec docs

http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/tracker/issues/

Raised by: Conrad Bock
On product:

Reported by matthew....@ncl.ac.uk, Jul 27, 2007

The OWL 1.1 syntax introduces classes and descriptions. Classes are named
concepts, while descriptions are predicates for set membership.
Typically, classes are associated with one or more descriptions,
specifying which sets of things are members of that concept.

In the semantics document (and fairly pervasively in the object model)
class is used to refer to owl descriptions. In some places in the
semantics document, class is overloaded between descriptions and owl
classes.

There's a similar issue with objectproperty expressions in the semantics
document, and also with dataproperty expressions.

This mixing of terminology is confusing for people like me that don't
work in the core OWL or DL community.

Matthew

Delete comment
Comment 1 by pfpschneider, Oct 11, 2007

Yes, indeed there are a number of edits that need to be made to the semantics
document.  I have marked up my copy with the changes.