Re: (resolution status/documents)Re: minutes for 17 October

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:11:24 +0100
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
CC: public-owl-wg@w3.org

Jeremy:
>> I also think that in general, we should have at least some text
>> drafting proprosals, in the agenda 24 hrs before the question will be
>> put.
Alan:
> While I think this is a good idea in general, I wonder if that will be
> always be possible, and wouldn't want to require it. Do you agree that
> the cooling off period we suggest effectively addresses the issue?

Agreed!

Alan:
> However, in the
> interest of addressing desire of those members would like there be a
> publication sooner, I think we should think creatively about how to do
> that in a way that addresses the concerns of you, Jim, and others who
> had some worries about this. Could you, Jim, and anyone else who is
> similarly concerned could make some suggestions along those lines?

I'll try to make a suggestion today (I am still struggling with RDF
Mapping though!)

 > Also, although the goal is to achieve consensus, and that is my own
 > goal, the process includes provision for voting, which means that
 > consensus is not strictly required.

While we will undoubtedly need to use majority voting at some point, I
would hope that in a group of this size, we would only need to formally
vote on a handful of occassions, and that those occassions will be very
clear (e.g. we fail to find consensus on a topic for a number of weeks,
and the chairs clearly announce that we will decide by majority vote)

Consensus process is certainly harder when people cannot attend the
telecon - since the process requires minorities to
   a) realize that they are in a (typically small) minority
   b) to back down gracefully if possible
   c) or to be given enough telecon/e-mail space to make their case if
they feel strongly, often involving not making a decision for a week or
two while discussion follows (often to a foregone conclusion!)
   d) only be formally outvoted after a) b) and c)

Jeremy