Re: OWL use cases

Hi Conrad,

I'm trying to better understand the uses you describe. What would be
especially helpful would be to write up the OWL or pseudo-owl you
would like to see, followed by an english description of what it is
supposed to mean, and what one should conclude from  it (some of the
entailments). This might be most productively done on one or more
wiki pages. Below I'll indicate some areas where I am having
difficulty understanding your examples.

On Oct 19, 2007, at 4:47 PM, Conrad Bock wrote:

> Here are a couple uses of OWL I think are important to support:
>
>   - Specializing Class and Property.

This can be done in OWL Full now. Do you mean that OWL-DL/OWL 1.1 DL
should have this ability too?

> This is critical to modeling
>     manufactured products and processes, to ensure product and process
>     models support subclassing, and classification of individuals (eg,
>     individuals corresponding to actual cars and actual executing
>     processes).

It would be helpful to get some more motivation/explanation of how
the feature connects to the use cases. Off the top of my head, I
don't see why this can't be done with standard classes and properties.

> Current tools support this, but a message from Bijan
>     (through Evan) said "owl:Class" in OWL 1 is part of the
> "disallowed
>     vocabulary", ie, it can't be mentioned in an axiom, like one
>     establishing a subclass.  Since instances of subclasses of
> owl:Class
>     (Property) are classes (properties), it seems natural for these
>     instances to be treated like any other class (property).

If I understand the current situation, they would be in OWL Full.

>   - OWL Full, in particular, having Class and Property be nondisjoint.

An example of what you want to accomplish with this would help.

>   - RDF Statements (reified triples).
>     These are important together for specializing product models with
>     properties that "expand" to a network of other objects and
>     properties in subclasses.

Showing what you mean here, based on a concrete example, would be
helpful

> I've heard punning might work in OWL 1.1
>     to make instances of both Class and Property, but haven't
> checked it
>     yet, in particular whether it would support a common subclass
>     between Class and Property.

Regards,
Alan

(ps. consider using the Wiki and just announcing the Wiki page here.
Individuals can subscribe to get email when any Wiki page changes,
and so by doing so we accommodate those who prefer less email, while
enabling those who would prefer more.)